- It is a blood product derived from 1000+ donors.
- Reduction in autism related symptoms are temporary at best.
- Other potential side effects (headache, dermatitis, infection (such as HIV or viral hepatitis) by contaminated blood product, as of yet unknown risk of contracting variant CJD (vCJD), pulmonary edema from fluid overload, due to the high colloid oncotic pressure of IVIG, allergic/anaphylactic reactions; for example, anaphylactic shock), hepatitis, acute kidney injury, venous thrombosis, aseptic meningitis)
- Multiple treatments to see benefit, if any.
That said, my daughter has autism with a side of intractable seizures, which are one of if not the leading cause of death for people with autism. While I am dubious about the benefit related to autism symptoms, there does look to be a lot of research showing benefits related to seizures.
- Role of Inflammation in Epilepsy and Treatment With IVIg
- CAN IMMUNOTHERAPY CONTROL SEIZURES?
- Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy in intractable childhood epilepsy: open-label study and review of the literature.
Or not ...